Haloumi and Asparagus Bites
Preparation time20 mins
Cook time5 mins
Need a vegetarian starter? Why not give this Haloumi & Asparagus Bites recipe a go! A unique asparagus dish that's sure to impress.
- 1 ½ bunches of asparagus, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g haloumi cheese, cut into 3cm strips
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp for the dressing
- 2 tsp lemon rind, finely grated, plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp baby capers, rinsed, drained
To make lemon dressing, place ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well.
Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender (2 – 3 minutes). Rinse under cold water and drain.
Thread one piece of asparagus, one piece of cheese, then another piece of asparagus close together onto a toothpick.
Preheat oil in a large frying pan on high. Cook bites for about 30 seconds each side or until lightly browned.
Serve immediately, drizzled with dressing.
PER SERVE • Energy 107Kj • Protein 1g • Total Fat 2g • Saturated Fat 1g • Carbohydrates 0g • Sugars 0g • Sodium 66mg
Dietary and nutritional info supplied by NZ Nutrition Foundation