- Vegetable oil - 2 Tbsp
- Laksa paste or Brett’s curry paste (recipe available at youtube.com/countdownnz) - 120 g
- Macro Free Range chicken thighs, skinned, boned, thinly sliced - 4-6
- Prawns per person, raw, peeled - 4-8
- Coconut milk - 500 ml
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Tthin rice noodles - 200 g
- Mung bean sprouts - 1 cup
- Fresh mint leaves - 1 cup
- Red chilli, thinly sliced - 1
- Lime wedges for serving
Heat a large saucepan over a low heat and add the oil. Add the laksa paste or Brett’s curry paste. Fry gently, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add the chicken and mix well. Fry gently for 2 minutes.
Add the prawns, 375ml water, coconut milk and fish sauce. Mix and bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked. The liquid in the laksa will be soupy.
Drop the noddles into another saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or as per pack instructions. Drain and divide evenly among 4 large bowls.
Add the chicken, prawns and soup evenly over the noodles and top with bean sprouts, mint and chilli. Serve with lime wedges.
Brett’s Curry Paste: Add 2-3 Tbsp chili flakes, 2 onions quartered, 3 cloves garlic, 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste, 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp shrimp paste, 4 Tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp turmeric and ½ tsp cloves to a food processor. Blend until you have a nice paste, adding extra oil to help loosen if necessary.