- Spring onion - 6-8
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Button mushrooms, halved - 375 g
- Rindless bacon slices, coarsely chopped - 4
- Garlic, crushed - 3 cloves
- Dry red wine - 1 cup
- Tomato paste - ¹/₄ cup
- Water - ¹/₂ cup
- Caster sugar - ¹/₂ cup
- Gravy beef, chopped in to 3cm cubes - 1.2 Kg
- Fennel bulbs, thickly sliced - 2 medium
- Potatoes, halved - 6 medium
- Chopped Italian parsley - ¹/₂ cup
- Salt and pepper
Trim green tips from the spring onions, leaving about 8cm of stems attached. Trim the roots.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the spring onion stems, mushrooms, bacon and garlic. Cook until onions soften, stirring frequently.
Add in wine, tomato paste, water and sugar. Bring to a boil then cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Set aside.
Place beef, fennel and the onion mixture in a slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours.
When just about ready to serve, bring a pot of water to boil on high heat, add potatoes. Cook until semi-soft and drain.
Serve casserole with potatoes on the side and sprinkle with parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tip: You could also use chuck steak or any stewing steak instead of gravy beef