- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 300g can corn kernels, drained
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 60g butter
- ¹/₄ cup plain flour
- 2 ¹/₂ cups milk
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- ¹/₂ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 250g spiral pasta, cooked, drained and kept hot
- 1 small cooked chicken, skin removed, flesh shredded
- ¹/₂ cup frozen peas, (optional)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Salad or steamed vegetables, to serve, if desired
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté corn, mushrooms and capsicum for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir. Cook for 1 minute, continuously stirring.
Remove from heat and whisk in milk until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in half of both cheeses until melted and combined.
Remove from heat and add pasta, corn mixture, chicken and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a 2L ovenproof dish.
Combine remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Serve with salad or steamed vegetables, if desired.
Tip: If preferred, use low-fat dairy products and a reduced-fat spread instead of butter