Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Casserole
Preparation time30 mins
Cook time8 hrs
Warm the family up with this easy slow-cooked Italian beef casserole recipe. It's hearty and full of flavour!
- Beef blade steak, chopped coarsely - 1.2 kg
- (35g) plain flour - 1/4 cup
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely - 1
- Cloves garlic, crushed - 2
- Dried chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
- (125ml) dry red wine - 1/2 cup
- Can diced tomatoes - 400 g
- (70g) tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- (625ml) beef stock - 2 1/2 cups
- Dried bay leaves - 2
- Red capsicum, chopped coarsely - 1
- Finely chopped fresh oregano - 1 Tbsp
- Coarsely chopped fresh basil - 2/3 cup
- Zucchini, halved lengthways, sliced thickly - 1
- Swiss brown mushrooms, halved - 185 g
Coat beef in flour, shake off excess. Heat half the oil in large frying pan; cook beef, in batches, until browned. Transfer to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic and chilli, stirring, until onion softens. Add wine; bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid reduces by half.
Stir onion mixture into cooker with undrained tomatoes, paste, stock, bay leaves, capsicum, oregano and the chopped basil. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours.
Add zucchini and mushrooms to cooker for last 30 minutes of cooking time. Discard bay leaves. Season to taste.
Sprinkle casserole with basil leaves to serve.