Citrus and Cranberry Chicken
Preparation time2 hrs 15 mins
Cook time1 hr 10 mins
Looking for a great gluten free lunch that's as delicious as it is healthy? Help yourself to this tasty gluten free citrus and cranberry chicken recipe.
- Chicken drumsticks - 1 1/2 kg
- Cloves garlic, peeled - 6
- Lemon (zest and juice) - 1
- Orange (zest and juice) - 1
- Liquid honey - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Tuscan herbs - 1 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper
- Dried cranberries - 1 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Red onion, sliced - 1
- Celery sticks, thinly sliced - 2
- Bacon slices, chopped - 3
- Fresh thyme, chopped - 1/4 cup
- Fresh mint, chopped - 1/8 cup
- fresh Italian parsley, chopped - 1/8 cup
- Almonds, roughly chopped - 1/2 cup
- Natural Greek yoghurt - 1 cup
Place the chicken into a large baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, orange zest, lemon zest, honey, herbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cranberries. Pour over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least two hours.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Cover chicken with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil for a further 50 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, combine the yoghurt, honey, orange juice and lemon juice and keep aside.
Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion, bacon and celery and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the fresh herbs and chopped nuts.
When the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear, remove from the oven. Serve on a platter with the bacon mixture sprinkled on top and garnish with fresh herbs and the yoghurt dressing on the side.
Tip: Remove the chicken from the fridge for 20 minutes before placing into the oven, to ensure even cooking.